Parents supporting their children and young people
Important Reminders for Parents and carers at this difficult time of bereavement for the family.
• Keep the family together, whilst accepting as much help from others as you can
• Involve the children where possible, they understand more than adults might believe.
• Make time to listen and talk with the children who will need a lot of reassurance that they will still be loved and cared for. Consider setting aside once a week a formal time making it a pleasant ritual that includes a treat. Shows children that you are still very interested in their activities.
• Remember cuddles
• Stick to boundaries, rules, bedtimes and mealtimes (esp. for smaller children)
• Try to be consistent with discipline i.e. times they come in etc., they need to know you care
• Let school know you want to know when they are falling behind, anytime in the term
• Use your family and friends for support and don’t be afraid to seek support for yourself from GP/Cousnellor
• Answer children’s questions honestly
• Be kind to yourself, forgiving yourself for the times when the day is turbulent and chaotic and you feel that youa re simply not up to the tasks that are expected of you
• Realise that it’s o.k for the children to see you upset – they learn how to grieve from the adults around them.